It's that time of the month again, where an Awesome Idea gets awarded $1,000!
The Awesome Foundation - Calgary (AF-Calgary) chapter awards $1,000 (no strings attached) micro-grants to the most awesome idea of the month. These micro-grants are provided by ordinary people who pitch in $100 from their *own* pockets in order to provide the monthly prize.
Ideas can range from cool community arts & culture events like collaborative art installations using lasers and LED lights as well as community cardboard box fort nights, to nifty tech submissions like the Cotton Candy Cannon and the Invisible Violin, and even civic engagement activities like organizing a bunch of people to pick the fruit off of public trees that would otherwise fall to the ground and go rotten and distribute them to the homeless. As we like to say here at AF-Calgary: "Nothing is off the table" and many of these ideas may never, ever make any money!
Each month, we receive many submissions of Awesome Ideas, and invite four of them (a.k.a. the Top4) to pitch their ideas at our Thousand Dollar Thursday Award Nights, held monthly on the fourth Thursday of the month at various Awesome Venues around the city for a chance to win $1,000 with NO strings attached. So come hear the Top4 pitch their ideas in hopes of winning the grant!
April 2011 is a special month here at AF-Calgary as it'll be our ONE-YEAR ANNIVERSARY BASH! That's right, AF-Calgary will be one-year old this April, and we will have already given away $12,000 during the lifetime of the chapter's existence to help enable Awesome Ideas around Calgary.
To help celebrate, we're bringing it back to where it all started one year ago: The Endeavor Arts Gallery & Event Space, where we held our very first Thousand Dollar Thursday back in April 2011. We'll have some VERY special guests join us that night, plus some other surprises, so make sure to join us for what will be a special evening for all involved.
- What: April 2012 AF-Calgary Thousand Dollar Thursday
- Where: Endeavor Arts & Design Space (200, 1209 1 Street SW)
- When: Thursday, April 26. Doors open at 6 p.m. Program starts around 6:30 p.m.
Here are the Top4 Finalists who will be presenting their ideas this month (in no particular order):
- The Calgary Cookie Chase by Simon Rock: "Imagine the Cookie Monster chasing cookies through Marda Loop. Now imagine that on YouTube done by four 15 year-olds. Yeah."
- Awesome Accordions! by Brenda Turley: "Behind every great accordion, is a great accordionist."
- Production Ski Bike by Chic Tyson: "Ski biking is awesome and easier than learning to ski or board."
- Take Off Your Clothes - Calgary Clothing SWAP by Vanessa Erickson: "Take Off Your Clothes is a giant clothing swap for charity that helps promote the local fashion industry, the community, and on top of that: It's great for the environment!"
Hope to see you at Endeavor in April for what will be a very special night!
For more details, see: