Note! Don't worry if you want to go to the hackathon and those tickets are 'sold out.' Register for a regular ticket and we'll try to accommodate as many people as we can.
The schedule for the day is up!: http://urbandigital.ca/events/2013/open-data-hackathon
International Open Data Day is Februrary 23, 2013!
Open Data Day Toronto will bring together a wide range of people who use data in various ways to improve the lives of Torontonians. (Planners, statisticians, designers, mobile app developers, journalists, epidemiologists, cartographers, hackers, librarians, policymakers, artists, etc., etc.)
It's a day-long event oriented towards sharing perspectives, projects, tools and ideas across disciplines. In the morning we'll hear inspiring case studies, and in the afternoon there'll be a hackathon, workshops (intros on how to use data) and lightning talks.
Open Data Day Toronto will be held at the Centre for Social Innovation in the Annex (720 Bathurst), and will feature:
- Case Studies: inspiring examples of how data (open and not) has been used towards real civic & community benefit
- Workshops: geared to those who'd like to learn some new tools for finding, using, analyzing and visualizing data
- Lightning Talks: (very) short presentations and pitches about projects, apps, ideas and tools from citizens, politicians, community groups, companies and anyone else who'd like to contribute
- Hackathon: space for techies and non-techies to collaborate on developing apps, visualizations and analyses, using (open) data for civic & community benefit
Featuring presentations and workshops by:
- Beth Wilson, Social Planning Toronto
- Jamie Robinson, United Way Toronto
- Jayme Turney and Bill Cohen, Toronto Public Space Initiative
- Sheraz Khan, University of Toronto
- Joey Coleman, joeycoleman.ca
- Karen Smith and Shanifa Nasser, University of Toronto
- Matthew Potter and Anita Chauhan, CitizenBridge
- Andrea Hamilton, MaRS
- Matt Thompson, Mozilla Foundation
- Diederick van Liere, Wikimedia Foundation
- Sheyda Saneinejad, City of Toronto Innovation Lab
- Kevin Branigan, Refactory
- Ellie Marshall, Open North
- Morgen Peers, Consultant
- Devon Meunier, Ajah.ca
- Sean Crawford & Tammer Kamel, Quandl
- Raed Sharif, Syracuse University
- Anil Patel, GrantBook
- (and more!)
To pre-plan hackathon projects, visit the Open Data Day wiki.
Follow @OpenDataDayTO for updates!
Open Data Day Toronto is supported by:
When & Where