Startup Calgary BarCamp
Saturday, May 5, 2012 from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM (MDT)
What is BarCamp?
BarCamp is a community-powered unconference, filled with open events, discussions, and workshops, where the agenda is collaboratively created and run by the participants rather than predetermined speakers.
The first BarCamp took place in 2005, and since then BarCamps have been held in over 350 cities around the world.
What’s the “Bar”?
No, It does not take place in a bar… not until it’s time to party!
BarCamp originated as a response to Foo Camp, which was an invitation-only conference held by Tim O’Reilly. Both conferences are a play on the terms foo, bar, and foobar, which are common placeholder/variable names used by hackers and computer programmers.
BarCamp Calgary will be held on Saturday May 5th from 8:30am – 4:30pm at the Mount Royal University, in the Bissett School of Business/ East B Building Atrium
What to expect?
- BarCamp Calgary will focus on innovation, entrepreneurship, startups, technology, mobile applications, social media, education and all things in between.
- You arrive between 8:30-10am, have breakfast, network, post topics of interest on a large grid, and vote for the sessions you want to attend. Sessions are in 30-45 minute time slots.
- If you have an idea for a presentation, don’t be shy! Everyone is encouraged to contribute… just make sure you get there early, come with an open mind, and bring plenty of business cards.
- Once the agenda is assembled, we’ll hold a brief kick-off meeting with the entire group and send you off to explore mind-blowing ideas and engage in awesome conversations.
- There will be a lunch break around 1pm, and a HUGE after party at the end of the day!
What are the sessions like?
Sessions vary from random hackathons to round tables discussions on best practices… bring out your interests, create the agenda, and engage in awesomeness. Some ideas include:
- Lean startup
- How to bootstrap?
- Pitch coaching
- Funding your ideas/ how to get VC money?
- A lesson on commercialization
- Web design best practices
- Application performance & scaling
- What the UX?
- All about HTML5
- Social media
- Marketing automation
- 30 minutes to your new Robot
- Open Graph for dummies
- Open source content management systems
- Developing Mobile applications - who, what, where and why
Love it. I want to go, what do I need to do?
- Register and purchase your ticket early, we have a limited number of tickets!
- Bring your laptop and/or usb key if you have slides
We greatly appreciate your help in supporting our community!
For more information contact: email@example.com
When & Where
- Weekly – Hack Nights, Startup Spotlight
- Quarterly – Startup Weekend, NEXT Pre-accelerator, DemoCamp, Cofounder Speed Dating, Students Meet Startups
- Monthly – Mobile Monday, Startup Drinks, Startup Grind
- Annual – BarCamp Unconference, Launch Party