Two-Day Primary Math Institute What to Look For:
Student Thinking in Early Numeracy
Day 1: Thursday, 20 October 2016 at 9:00 AM - 3:30 PM
Day 2: Friday, 21 October 2016 at 9:00 AM - 3:30 PM
Audience: Gr. 1-2 Teachers, Numeracy Coaches
Facilitators: Karen Campbell, Prairie Spirit School Division (formerly of Good Spirit SD)
Children arrive in Grade 1 with a range of abilities —from those just learning to count to those who can add, subtract, multiply, and divide with small numbers. How do teachers support all of these children to learn with understanding, enthusiasm, and proficiency? In this highly interactive course, we focus on recognizing and assessing children’s initial thinking so that we can help them to develop more efficient addition and subtraction strategies.
Highlights of Course:
- Analyze student videos to learn to recognize and assess the many strategies children use for basic calculations
- Develop a stronger understanding of how young children learn to add and subtract
- Develop a continuum of strategies from early counting (e.g., counting three times) through increasingly efficient strategies to knowing the ‘facts’
- Analyze student work and thinking on the continuum
- Practise mini-lessons, create word problems, and play games that foster children’s growth and learning
- Examine the mathematics children can learn at this early age and how it links to and supports math learning at later grades
- Align early learning math strategies to SK curriculum
For more information, contact email@example.com
How do I register?
At the top under "Ticket Information", select how many tickets you require for this event. If you are paying by credit card, select the "Order Now" button. If paying by cheque or purchase order, select "Show Other Payment Options". Fill in the required fields, and follow the prompts provided on the screen.
What are my payment options?
You can pay by credit card, cheque or purchase order:
- If you are paying by credit card, select the "Order Now" button.
- If paying by cheque, select "Show Other Payment Options". Fill in the required fields, and follow the prompts provided on the screen.
- If paying by purchase order, select "Show Other Payment Options". Fill in the required fields, and follow the prompts provided on the screen. Please submit your purchase order number to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I get help with registering?
For assistance, please email email@example.com.
Where can I contact the organizer with any questions about the content of the event?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
What is the refund policy?
You may receive a full refund if you have cancelled by 2 weeks before the start date of the event. Please contact email@example.com for details. If you have purchased by credit card, your card will be refunded within 5 business days. If purchased through cheque or purchase order, your refund will be processed within 4 weeks.
In the event that Pearson Canada needs to cancel the event, all registrations will be refunded in full.
Save This Event
When & Where
Pearson Canada is Canada’s leading learning company. We provide innovative learning materials, technologies, assessments, and services to educators, professionals, and students in order to help people everywhere aim higher and fulfill their true potential.