Join former Professional Photographers of Canada’s Photographic artist of the Year, Darlene Hildebrandt for a photography class on Available Light Photography that will touch on some of the basics of using available lighting (window light and reflectors) along with small flash as fill-light for portraits. These techniques are great for child portraits or pet photography, done in your own home.
Infant lit with available light from window
“I’d like to thank Darlene Hildebrandt for her “Available Lighting” course. I drove from Calgary to Edmonton to take this course not sure what to expect, and I must say that I was not disappointed! Darlene provided excellent training and has given me the confidence and knowledge I need to take my photography to the next level! I would highly recommend this class to anyone who wants to improve their photography skills and take their picture creation to the next level. Thank you Darlene, I look forward to attending more of your classes.” – Tim A., Calgary AB
Available light photography example - Darlene H.
Course content for our Available Light Photography Classes includes:
- what equipment to use – camera, light meter, reflector kit, speedlights, light modifiers (minimal), light stands, tripod
- can be done with Point and Shoot style cameras except for the fill flash techniques
- how to set up for images lit by window light
- why the angle of lighting is this important and how to create and control it
- what is lighting ratio along with how to measure and control it
- things to watch out for that could ruin your portrait and how to correct for them
- camera shake, subject movement, harsh lighting, poor direction of lighting, spotting light
- how to choose when to use a white, silver, gold, transparent or even a black reflector and why
- how to balance fill flash with available or ambient light in the room or outdoors
- how to use bounce flash indoors as fill light
- adding an interesting element to the portrait (backgrounds, foregrounds, props)
“I thoroughly enjoyed the course – I have attended a coupleof seminars at a competing photography store, and have been disappointed with the level and presentation of the instruction. This course was fabulous and was filled with information, much of which was new to me and I felt challenged. When I left the course I was very happy that I had learned so much new information and techniques that I could go away and follow up on and practise. (I’m a kinesthetic learner!) I also enjoyed your sharing of tips throughout the day, and have already been able to impress a friend with the leaning forward pose to lose the double chin!” – Anna E., Edmonton
Available light photography example 2 - Darlene H
About your instructor for the Available Light Photography Classes
Darlene Hildebrandt was born and raised in Edmonton and completed her formal training in photography at the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology. She enjoys portraits, fine art, travel photography and teaching. During over 20 years experience her style has evolved from a more formal style, to one that is more abstract and artistic..
She is a seasoned traveler having spent time in Mexico, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Peru, New Zealand, Australia, 6 months in the US on an extended RV trip, Turkey and Spain. Darlene loves exotic locales, exotic food and experiencing different countries directly through the local people and the cultural arts. She also enjoys helping others and working with charities in foreign places.
Her vision is to share her artistic talents through teaching “the art of seeing”. She strives to give viewers a chance to experience far away places in a new way, giving them a better understanding of the world. Darlene’s personal mission is to spread love and understanding in the world, through education using her images. Her images are lively and inviting, adding spice to almost any home or office décor. Through personal consultations, Darlene is able to help Fine Art clients select from literally thousands of images for their specific space. From an old window in the New Orleans French Quarter, to a stunning beach in Thailand, or the mountain people high in the Peruvian Andes, she has a wide range of subjects to please even the most discriminating art collector.
Available Light photography example 3 - Darlene H
This workshop includes:
- 12 hours of classroom instruction
- Hot lunch on both days consisting of a choice of main course, 2 salads, soup, side dishes and desert
- Certificate of completion
- Small group size, limited to 12 participants
Itinerary and Location
- Providence Renewal Centre • 3005 119 Street, Edmonton, Alberta
- Saturday, 9:00am – 4:00pm: Classroom instruction
- Sunday, 9:00am – 4:00om: Classroom instruction
- $250 Canadian Dollars (plus tax).
- Current currency exchange information between the Canadian dollar and your local currency is available here.
Policies and payment information are available here.
For additional information, please contact us at:
E-Mail: Contact us Electronically
Phone Toll-free: 1-877-778-1745