San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
This introductory course is ideal for anyone new to the exciting and dynamic medium of encaustic painting or those needing a refresher program. Some of the topics that will be explored include:
- Brief history of the medium
- Encaustic essentials including: supports and grounds, tools and materials
- Safety precautions
- Fusing fundamentals and methods
- Layering and building up your wax surface: smooth or textured
- Image Transfer Techniques
- Intarsia (excavating and filling with pigmented wax or oil paint)
- Layering with opaque and transparent colours
- How to set up your own home encaustic studio
Your workshop tuition includes all pigmented wax and encaustic medium along with multiple panels for experimentation and image creation. Your fee also includes the use of hot plates and heat guns, along with other studio equipment and supplies. You will come away with a solid understanding of the medium, proper application techniques, and a few completed sample boards. Bring a notebook to take notes and a camera if you like. Wear a t-shirt and apron as it gets warm in an encaustic studio. Please bring your lunch; cookies and coffee/tea will be provided.
All supplies are included!
Please note: Students must bring weather appropriate clothing as we might be outside during break.
When & Where
Leighton Art Centre
The Leighton Art Centre is a not-for-profit organization located on 80-acres of spectacular foothills landscape 15 minutes SW of Calgary. As a museum, art gallery and art centre the Leighton Art Centre offers the public art exhibitions, art sales, membership and volunteer opportunities, and adult and children programs. Please Visit our website for Driving Directions.