4th Annual Save State One Game-a-Thon For Extra Life
November 5th to 6th, 9 AM – 9 AM
Algonquin College, CA 105 - Centre for Construction Excellence
Since 2008, thousands of people from the gaming community have pledged to play games to help save the lives of sick and injured kids through Extra Life – an international gaming event in support of Children's Miracle Network Hopsitals. To be more specific, Extra Life is a 24-hour gaming pledge-a-thon where participants raise money for specific CMN Hospitals. As in previous years, Save State One will be raising money for the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO), which aids thousands of kids facing diseases like cancer, cystic fibrosis, and even horrible injuries from accidents that can often times have permanent after effects; these are things no child should ever have to experience.
So where do you come in? Easy! Join Save State One and Extra Life in raising money for CHEO, and then come to Algonquin College for a 25-hour gaming extravaganza - you can thank Daylight Savings Time for the extra hour this year! This event is open to all ages and gaming skill levels - though we ask that any children under the age of 13 be accompanied by a guardian at least 16 years of age during the duration of the event.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to bring my own gaming equipment?
- This is a B.Y.O.G. (bring your own games) event - you are responsible for bringing any gaming gear you need with you, be it a computer, gaming console, stack of board games, etc. For those looking to drop in for a short time, or those looking to change things up a bit over the course of the day, there will be some spaces available at multiplayer console stations for freeplay and tournaments. Please make sure you have everything neccesary to use your gear - this could include items like a TV/Monitor, keyboard, mouse, power bar, or ethernet cable.
How early can I arrive to set up?
- Doors will open to participants at 8:30AM on November 5th for station setup. This should allow ample time for computers and consoles to be up and running for the gaming to commence at 9 AM.
Where can I park?
- Parking is provided in free of charge in Lot 8 (Red) and Lot 9 (Green) for the duration of the event. They are located in the main parking area of Algonquin College, beside the Student Commons building - signs will be in place to direct you back to our event once you have parked. The Pay and Display parking lot located at the South Entrance of the CA building will be free for unloading/loading equipment only. Parking anywhere else during the event, including the OC Transpo Park and Ride, is done at your own risk.
Do I need to raise money to attend?
- As this is a fundraising event for the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario, we ask that all participants help raise funds to the best of their ability. Everybody already registered for Extra Life, or looking to sign up, can join the Save State One team to have their amounts added to the team total. Anybody who wishes to attend without fundraising in advance will be encouraged to make a donation of $10 or more by cash or cheque at the door. Donations can also be done online through paypal or credit card.
Do I need to bring my ticket?
- You do not need to print and bring your free ticket. This is just a way to ensure that we don't have more people showing up than the room capacity. If more people show up than there is room for, people who registered will have priority for a station.
Will there be internet?
- There will be wifi internet available for use, provided by Algonquin College. There will also be limited ports available for ethernet cable connections. If you require an ethernet connection, please bring an ethernet cable - the longer, the better!
Will there be food or drinks available for purchase?
- There will be no food or drinks available for purchase at the event itself, but there are lots of options nearby – McDonald's, Subway, KFC, and Tim Horton's are within walking distance, while Pizza Pizza, Domino's, and Mr Mozzarella all deliver to campus.
Can I bring my own snacks/drinks?
- Yes, you are encouraged to bring your own snacks! We do ask that all outside food be PEANUT AND NUT FREE. We will have gamers present who have severe nut allergies, and this rule is in place for their safety and comfort.
Can I bring alcohol?
- There will be no alcohol permitted in the event at any time.