The Art of Butchery will leave you with a ton of knowledge on butchering an animal. Through working, learning, researching and teaching, your guide seeks to revive an age-old craft that has fallen out of step in current methods of purchasing and preparing food.
This workshop was featured on CBC's The Sunday Edition with Michael Enright.
This class will be hands-on and you'll be taking home 20 lbs of fresh pork meat, wrapped for storage.
Wes will be teaching us how to break the hog into 'primals', which are the first cuts that represent the largest portions of the animal. This is followed by the 'retail cuts' which, for instance, are the shoulder (boston and picnic), loin (chops and loin roasts), belly (bacon, pancetta), leg (ham, proccuttio) and finally the head (headcheese, guanciale). As always, this class is hands-on.
You want to take this class because:
- You're a rural or urban homesteader who wants to learn how to butcher your own livestock or that of a local farmers
- You're a home chef and want to become more familiar with the anatomy of a pig and proper processing techniques
- You're a doer and are curious about the butchery process and yearning to learn a valuable, hands-on skills.
The pig comes from a local and sustainable farm called Perth Pork. We believe that this farm represents the best possible life for a pig.
- Access to a professional teacher with extensive experience in butchery.
- Local and sustainable pig. We choose to support farmers who honour and respect the 'piginess of the pig'.
- Small class sizes and a whole pig . There will only be 8 people maximum in this class.
- Taking home pork meat!
When: Sunday, October 23rd from 10:00am - 2:00pm
Where: Artisanale French Country Cooking - 214 Woolwich St, Guelph, ON N1H 3V6
Includes 20-25 lbs of local and sustainable meat and all materials. There will be a maximum of 8 participants and we will be working on a whole pig.
To Bring: A sharp boning knife and your favourite apron. If you don't have your own boning knife, you can borrow one of ours.
**You do not need to register through Eventbrite to be a participant of this workshop. If you do not wish to register this way, please contact email@example.com. We can accept cash and cheque.
- Minga will provide a 100% refund for workshops cancelled by Minga.
- If a registrant cancels a workshop with more than 48 hours notice, a 100% refund will be issued.
- If a registrant cancels with less than 48 hours notice or does not show up, no refund will be issued.
- The above policies apply for pre-registered workshops. Refunds or credits will not be issued for a missed class.
* Please note that we’ll be sending out information about specifics of the workshop a few days before the workshop, including a reminder of what to bring.