Hastings Prince Edward Public Health presents the Baby-Friendly Initiative (BFI) 20-Hour Breastfeeding Course - a course for health care providers or volunteers who provide support to families with babies. This course will be facilitated by a team of local health care professionals with breastfeeding expertise and is offered in a series of five 4-hour modules September through December 2016.
Registration is free. Lunch will be provided. Please register by September 2 to reserve your spot.
A certificate of participation will be provided upon completion of the course.
Module 1: Promoting and Protecting Breastfeeding September 13, 2016 10 am - 3 pm
Module 2: Breastfeeding Basics October 4, 2016 10 am - 3 pm
Module 3: Management of Breastfeeding Challenges October 25, 2016 10 am - 3 pm
Module 4: Supporting Breastfeeding November 15, 2016 10 am - 3 pm
Module 5: Clinical Practice December 13, 2016 10 am - 3 pm
The 20-Hour Course
- Meets the minimum educational requirement of the Baby-Friendly Initiative for staff involved in direct care to breastfeeding women and families.
- Provides for evidence-based care to all families.
- Provides basic foundation in breastfeeding best practice, and in alternative feeding for non-breastfeeding families.
The Baby-Friendly Initiative
- Provides process for evidence-based breastfeeding support which agencies can complete and become "BFI designated".
- Based on 10 Steps to Successful Breastfeeding and the WHO Code.
- Provides for support when breastfeeding is not possible or when parents have made an informed decision not to breastfeed (i.e. supports ALL babies and parents).
For more information, call Hastings Prince Edward Public Health's Child Health CARELine at 613-966-5500 ext. 223.