Boards Together Victoria is pleased to invite board members of not-for-profit organizations to an interactive discussion on Board & CEO Relationship: Getting it Right. Our speaker and facilitator for the evening will be Dr Vic Murray.
When:Thursday, October 20, 2016
What Time: 5:30 - 8:00
Where: James Bay New Horizons Society Activity Centre, 234 Menzies Street, Victoria BC
Cost: $5.00 per person will be collected at the door to cover the cost of the light supper that will be available
please RSVP by Oct 17, 2016
What to look forward to and the questions that will be covered
Board-CEO Relationship: Getting it right
The research on what makes for effective leadership in nonprofit organizations is clear about one thing: the Board of Directors and the CEO (“Executive Director", “President" or whatever other title is used for the top paid, or unpaid, manager) have to work in partnership This Workshop will explore what it takes to create this highly important, but very complex and subtle relationship.
The important point to understand about this topic is that there is no "one best" form for this relationship to take. It can, and should, vary from one situation to another. For example, the ideal Board-CEO relationship for a small, new, nearly all-volunteer organization will be very different from that in an older, larger, well-established, professionally staffed organization. However, there are some "best practice" guidelines that can help any organization develop the board-CEO partnership that’s best for it.
Topics to be covered in this interactive workshop will include:
- What should go into the CEO’s Position Description? How should the job vary from one situation to another?
- What is the role of the board in recruiting and selecting a CEO?
- The board wants to help the organization and its CEO to succeed, but it is also "the boss" of the CEO. How should it resolve the paradox this can create?
- How should a board evaluate the performance of the CEO and communicate the results of that evaluation?
- How should the board decide on the CEO’s salary?
- What can be done about an overly controlling CEO? A non-communicative CEO?
- What should be the CEOs role in board member recruitment and selection?
- What influenced should the CEO have in assessing the performance of the board?