Actions and Detail Panel
Breathe STRONG- 8 week Mindfulness Program for Parents (Tuesdays 7-9pm)
Tue, 9 May 2017, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM EDT
Parenting is one of the most time consuming and responsible tasks that we ever undertake. It brings a vast amount of joy, but also incredible stress as we aim to be the ‘best’ parents we can be, whilst balancing the other responsibilities in our lives. Unfortunately, however, as we become stressed, our parenting skills generally collapse and so begins the cycle of anger with our children, guilt over our responses and increased stress as we vow to ‘do it better next time’.
This 8-week mindfulness course is designed to help parents learn another approach to parenting: the ancient art of mindfulness, a technique that science has proven to reduce stress, improve compassion and calmness and increase general happiness.
Parents learn to take time to calm themselves before responding to their children; effectively putting on their own mask in the plane before helping their children! In this way, they can Breathe STRONG and stop the downward spiral before it begins.
On the course, parents will learn how to:
· Pay attention to their body and recognize the signals that they are becoming stressed out
· Recognize how our recurring thoughts patterns impact our feelings towards our children and ourselves
· Use a variety of techniques to calm the body and mind
· Develop the space to respond, rather than react, to parenting stress and conflict with our children
· Be more forgiving of and caring towards themselves and their children
· Feel emotionally stronger and more confident
· Incorporate these tools as part of their daily life
A minimum of 8 participants are required for this course to run.
Please note that this mindfulness program is not designed to be therapeutic in nature or to replace the guidance or direction of any professional psychologist, doctor or psychiatrist. Instead, this program is designed to complement these services and to be an additional tool that may prove helpful in reducing stress and improving overall quality of life.