San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Join Tracey McKinley, and Jason Patterson as they lead magazine circulation professionals through a full-day intensive on acquiring new subscribers, direct marketing best practices, digital subscriptions and editions, retaining subscribers and growing newsstand sales. Walk away with practical, actionable ideas to help your magazine increase circulation sales and revenue.
Audience: Paid Circulation Consumer Magazines
9:30 to 10 am
10 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.
Acquiring New Subscribers
- Leveraging your “ecosystem”
- In-book ads and cards, website, emails, your expire list
- Good old direct mail
- Subscription sales agents
- Source evaluations
11:15 to 12 noon
Direct Marketing Best Practices
- Interactive quiz to teach the principles
- Lists, offers, creative formats – print and online
- Direct marketing languag
12 noon to 12:30
Digital Focus - Best Practices to sell print and digital subs online
- How to best promote subscriptions on your website, via emails
- Working with partners
- Selling other of your products/services
12:30 to 1 pm
- To be or not to be – the costs and benefits of digital editions
- Include free with print or not?
- Offer and marketing strategies
1 to 1:30 pm
Lunch Break – lunch will be provided.
1:30 to 2:45 pm
- Benchmarks and typical reasons for non-renewal
- Fulfillment and Subscriber Care Approaches
- Retention marketing programs best practices - print and online
- Tracking and analyzing results
- Offer strategies and best practices
2:45 to 3:45
Grow your Newsstand Sales
- It all starts with brand and cover!
- Cover principles and quick cover quiz
- Best practices to increase sales
- Improving sell-through efficiency
- Selling direct to independent stores
3:45 to 4 or 4:15 p.m.
Wrap-up – Question and Answer
Tracey McKinley is a magazine consumer marketer and publisher with 30 years of diverse experience leading and launching national brands. Her marketing expertise spans digital media, print, retail, direct mail, broadcast, sponsorships, partnerships and market research, and she has worked across a wide variety of magazine categories and titles. Tracey currently runs a consulting business which includes leading the consumer marketing of RICARDO magazine. Previously she was Vice-President of Consumer Marketing and Executive Publisher of HELLO! Canada magazine at Rogers Publishing Ltd where she led teams to achieve unparalleled growth and innovation.
Jason Patterson is the Digital Marketing and Operations Manager on all brands of TVA Media, previously with Transcontinental Media and Telemedia Communication. Jason is an industry veteran with over 19 years of circulation marketing and operations experience working on many of Canada’s largest consumer magazines including Canadian Living, Style at Home and The Hockey News. Being involved in both print and digital circulation operations and marketing tactics, he brings a unique perspective to the challenges and changes that are impacting magazine circulation professionals navigating the move to digital marketing and distribution channels.
When & Where
Alberta Magazine Publishers Association
The Alberta Magazine Publishers Association (AMPA) sustains a healthy, thriving magazine industry by serving the people that publish, create, print and distribute a uniquely Albertan view of the world.
Through a combination of advocacy, promotion and professional assistance, AMPA works to nurture Alberta’s magazine industry and foster its continued development. Learn more about the services we provide and how they can benefit your magazine at www.albertamagazines.com