Actions and Detail Panel
Colours of the Northwest
Thu, 16 Feb 2017, 7:00 PM – Sat, 18 Feb 2017, 11:30 PM MST
Aurora and Astrophotography workshop with Denis Semenov and Evgeny Chertov.
Thursday, 16 February 2017 – Saturday, 18 February 2017, Yellowknife, NWT
Come and a spend a weekend in Yellowknife – the “Aurora Capital of the World”, in Canadian Northwest Territories.
Over this 3-night workshop you will learn the technics of night photography. You will get instruction, critiques and opportunity to shoot one the most spectacular phenomena on the Earth – Northern Lights.
An approximate workshop schedule is:
Thursday night, Feb 16 – Introduction into night photography: We will explain the technics of night shooting and Aurora shooting that will include going through gear, focusing, camera settings. The theory will be followed by field practice.
Friday afternoon, Feb 17 – Lessons learned: We will meet, discuss the results of previous night and answer any question that may have come up from the previous night.
Friday night, Feb 17 – Playing with lights: We will explain more advanced photography technics that can be used in night and even in day photography. That includes light painting, creating composite pictures and so on. The theory part will be again followed by field practice.
Saturday afternoon, Feb 18 – Lessons learned: We will meet and discuss any questions that may have come up from the previous night.
Saturday night, Feb 18 – Getting creative: Third night of Aurora hunting. A chance to play with various technics, implement all ideas and get creative images and memories.
- Dates: February 16 to February 18, 2017
- Location: Yellowknife, NWT
- Meeting venue: TBD
- Workshop cost: $500 CAD + taxes and fees (lodging, meals and travel is not included, please contact us directly if you want assistance with these)
- 15 spots only
- Cancellation Policy: Spots are non-refundable but are transferrable (i.e. if the participant is able to find someone else to take their spot and can sell/transfer the spot to a new participant, this is acceptable).
- Questions:Please direct them to firstname.lastname@example.org or to email@example.com
What to bring:
- Camera, preferably DSLR or mirrorless, which allows manual control of settings
- A sturdy tripod
- A cable shutter release is highly recommended
- Head lamp
- Appropriate clothing as the outside temperatures in Yellowknife in February are in the -20C to -35C range.
- Extra batteries
- Great attitude and willingness to have fun and learn new features.
About Denis Semenov: I am an adventure photographer based in Calgary, Alberta. I started photography when I was a child. With a film camera I was in search of interesting moments. Capturing events and landscape sceneries. Photography is still a huge part of my life. I am always in quest of places less travelled and angles less captured. Most of the time I am somewhere in mountains with my camera, backpack and tent. Camping under the stars, watching Milky way and Auroras – that’s why I am out there. I’ve been to most of the National and provincial/state parks in the western part of North America, I have found unique sceneries and I want to share this experience with you.
Evgeny Chertov about himself: Hi, my name is Evgeny Chertov. Photography is my true passion that took a big part of my life. I am fortunate to live in Calgary and my inspiration in nature photography began with breath taking nature of Canadian Rockies. This amazing cold beauty is my guide and my teacher, however, I photograph not just nature but the way this nature make me feel. In pursuit of new experiences I spend a good amount of time traveling, exploring and collaborating with interesting people. My personal goal is to capture and preserve the moment, memories, excitement of untouched natural beauty, raw emotions that captured in the picture… And I want to share this with you.