Actions and Detail Panel
COMMUNICATION AT END-OF-LIFE: TRAIN-THE-TRAINER WORKSHOP
Fri, 18 November 2016, 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM EST
This two-day workshop will provide long-term care (LTC) staff with educational resources for teaching palliative and end-of-life (EOL) communication skills to personal support workers and other professionals in LTC. Using the train-the-trainer model, this workshop is intended for LTC staff who provide training and education in their LTC homes.
Workshop Presenter: Ruth Richardson, Hospice Palliative Care Nurse Educator, Algonquin College
DAY ONE: November 18, 2016 (8AM-4PM)
DAY TWO: December 2, 2016 (8AM-4PM)
This FREE event is offered in partnership with Algonquin College. Participants will be provided with free parking and a free lunch on both workshop days.
AT THE END OF THIS 2-DAY WORKSHOP SERIES, PARTICIPANTS WILL BE ABLE TO PROVIDE EDUCATION IN THEIR HOMES FOCUSED ON:
- Discussing definitions, myths, and misconceptions related to palliative and EOL care
- Exploring how personal values, beliefs, and experiences can inform your thoughts, attitudes, and care practices
- Understanding holistic care and the eight domains associated with illness and bereavement
- Understanding the four capacities required to establish a therapeutic relationship
- Practicing therapeutic communication skills: listening, paraphrasing, reflecting, summarizing
- Developing skills in communication with residents, families, and interdisciplinary teams