Two hot topics with parents, this workshop is designed to increase safety awareness when children are using the internet, as well as to explore the idea of bullying; what it is and how to prevent it. “It is estimated that 2 out of 3 households in Canada have a computer and access to cyberspace, and 26% of kids ages 9 to 15 went to meet a friend that they met online without permission of their parents” (source: www.kidproofsafety.com) This 3 hour workshop, developed by Kidproof Canada www.kidproofsafety.com and facilitated by the Ottawa Safety Council, is interactive and hands-on with role-playing, and group discussion.
Cyber Safe (2 hours) - Covers the topic of internet safety. Participants will learn:
- Common definitions they will find on the Internet
- Types of possible dangers found on the Internet
- How to identify warning signs and how to safely respond to them
- Responsibilities for safe surfing
- Safe practice for chatting and Instant Messaging
Bully Proofing (1 hour) - Learn to avoid being bullied and if they are bullied, know how to stop it. Participants will learn how to:
- Define bullying and cyber-bullying
- Recognize bullying behavior in different situations
- React to bullying if they are being bullied
- Avoid being a target
- React if they witness a person being bullied
- Develop empathy and celebrate uniqueness
Ages 8 to 11 years. All graduates receive a manual and a certificate. Registration and payment required in advance.
Where can I contact the organizer with any questions?
613-238-1513 or firstname.lastname@example.org
What is the refund policy?
In the case of a course cancellation by the Ottawa Safety Council: The Registrant or Host will be given the option to transfer to a later course date or receive a full refund of fees paid.
In the case of cancellation by the Registrant or Host: Cancellation requests received not less than five business days prior to the start of a course will result in a refund of fees paid, less a $25 processing fee. Cancellation requests received with less than five business days prior to the start of a course will result in a forfeit of fees paid. This policy is in direct support of the agreement between the Ottawa Safety Council and the Public Educators contracted to deliver the courses.