Actions and Detail Panel
CycleSafe Bike Rodeo (Community)
Sat, 6 May 2017, 9:00 AM – Sun, 22 Oct 2017, 3:00 PM EDT
OSC CycleSafe Bike Rodeos provide young bicyclists, JK through grade 4, the chance to learn safe riding skills and rules of the road, through fun stations and demonstrations. A half day - 3 hour bike rodeo can host up to 75 participants. A full day - 6 hour bike rodeo, can host up to 150 participants.
- Helmet Check: 2-V-1
- Bike Check for tires, brakes, chain, pedals, seat
- Rules of the Road and Traffic Signs
- Hand Signals
- Shoulder Check
- Weaving and Maneurering
We come to you!
The bike rodeo includes:
- 1 instructor and all the equipment (bicycles not included)
- 1 hour set-up and training of volunteers
- 45 minutes of bike education/stations time
The community group needs to provide:
- Approximately 1800 sqare feet of even levelled space outdoors, paved, free of debris, and safe from street traffic - usually at the basketball paved area at school.
- One 6ft table.
- Volunteers to help set-up and assist with the stations during the entire rodeo. Community events require 2 volunteers at all times.
- Children must bring their own helmets.
- Children are encouraged to use their own bicycle (a scooter can work too). Bicycles are not provided but we will have 3 scooters available to ensure no child is left out.
Is there a cost? No, bike rodeos are free of charge to schools, community groups and school age summer daycare programs, thanks to the generous support of Safer Roads Ottawa.
Can I book a rain date? No. We run rain or shine!
Who will be instructing the bike rodeo? The OSC bike rodeos are instructed by 1 instructor with the following qualifications:
Attending post-secondary education in ECE, Recreation, Bachelor of Education or relevant field, along with experience working with children.
CanBike II Certified - an advanced cycling course offered by Cycling Canada www.canbikecanada.ca
"Just wanted to add how much I love the event. The kids and the parent volunteers had so much fun. I always look forward to you coming. As a side note the presentation fits perfectly with the program expectations for the Full Day learning program falling within the health and physical education portion of the program. Justine and your partner were great, very knowledgeable and flexible when it came to dealing with the small hiccoughs with the extra helmets (great idea) and shepherding our friends who were less experienced. Thanks so much and I hope to see you again next year”. Teacher, St. Patrick Elementary
“On behalf of the Elmdale School Community I wanted to extend a sincere thanks to Jordan & Justine from the Ottawa Safety Council for attending the Elmdale Spring Fling and putting on the bike rodeo for families within our school. Both were excellent ambassadors for your program and the bike rodeo was an excellent addition to our event overall. We added a bike wash as well as a bike decorating station which were well received and added to the overall presentation”. Parent, Safe Transportation Committee, Elmdale Public School