DA 104: Introduction to Disciplined Agile- Certification Prep Workshop (14 PDU/Contact Hours)
Agile transformation is hard because cultural change is hard. It’s not one problem that needs to be solved, but a series of hundreds decisions affecting lots of people over a long period of time that affects relationships, processes, and even the state of mind of those working within the change. Disciplined Agile (DA) is unlike any other framework, because it’s based on empiricism, industry data and adoption of proven practices. The result is a huge wealth of structured information that allows you to map your challenges into a tree structure of proven strategies that other people have found to work in practice. In effect you can apply the DA framework to identify process improvements that reflect the actual situations faced by your teams.
Disciplined Agile (DA) is an IT process decision framework for delivering sophisticated agile solutions in the enterprise. It builds on the existing proven practices from agile methods such as Scrum, Extreme Programming (XP), Lean software development, Kanban, Unified Process, Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe), Agile Modeling and others to include other aspects necessary for success in the enterprise. Discipline Agile (DA) fills in the gaps left by mainstream methods by providing guidance on how to effectively plan and kickstart complex projects as well as how to apply a full lifecycle approach, with lightweight milestones, effective metrics, and agile governance.
This two day workshop is not technical and is suitable for all team members. Many group exercises reinforce the principles learned. The workshop is also valuable for management tasked with moving from traditional approaches to agile. Lunch and coffee breaks will be provided for both days.
- IT practitioners new to agile who want to get an effective start at agile solution delivery
- Existing agile practitioners who want to take it to the next level
- Senior IT Management who want to gain a deep understanding of how to take a disciplined approach to agile solution delivery
- Agile practitioners who hope to grade for a Certified Disciplined Agilist or Certified Disciplined Agile Practitioner
- PMI certified professionals hoping to earn Agile PDUs.
- Discover how all aspects of software delivery – architecture, design, testing, programming, leadership, quality assurance, data administration – come together in a cohesive whole
- Gain hands-on experience with agile solution delivery techniques
- Learn how to avoid costly agile adoption mistakes by starting with a full delivery lifecycle
- Discover how to tailor your agile process to reflect the actual situation you find yourself in
- One Complimentary Certified Disciplined Agilist test attempt when written within 30 days of the course end date, a $100 US value
- Once the course is completed you are able to claim 14 PDU/Contact Hours, Category 3 from the Project Management Institute (PMI).
- Attendees earn the designation of Disciplined Agilist
- Introduction to Disciplined Agile (DA): Overviews key DA concepts such as the four delivery lifecycles, enterprise awareness, team roles, being agile vs doing agile, the importance of context, and taking a flexible, goal-driven approach. We also describe the roles and responsibilities that people take on DA team and team structures for small, medium, large, and geographically distributed teams.
- Inception Phase: Covers key activities for initiating a DA team, including initial requirements modelling, initial architecture modelling, initial release planning, strategies for your physical and virtual work environments, initial risk identification, and driving to a shared vision with your stakeholders.
- Construction Phase: Describes many technical strategies for building consumable increments of your solution, including test-driven development (TDD), acceptance TDD, how to initiate an iteration/sprint, look-ahead modelling and planning, spikes, regular coordination meetings, continuous integration, continuous deployment, whole-team testing, parallel independent testing, information radiators, Kanban boards, burn up charts, and many more. In this module we also look at agile construction from a traditional point of view, showing how activities such as architecture, analysis, design, testing, management, and user experience (UX) are addressed all the way through the lifecycle.
- Transition Phase: Overviews strategies for releasing the solution to your stakeholders.
- Summarizing the Workshop: A Retrospective
- Level: Introductory
- Length: Two days – 14 hours of classroom time plus breaks.
- Approach: For each major topic in the agenda there will be instruction followed by group work. Students will work through a case study throughout the workshop so that they can discover how to apply a disciplined agile approach from end-to-end.
- Prerequisites: Basic concepts of agile methods such as Scrum useful but not required.
We require a minimum number of registrants to run this course. If we need to cancel the course, registrants will receive a full refund.
If a registrant wishes to cancel, they may do so by email:
- Up to 2 weeks before the course start - receive a full refund less any transaction fees;
- Up to 1 week before the course start – receive a refund of 50%;
- Closer than 1 week before the course start - we are unable to offer a refund as we will have committed to costs. However, if a registrant finds someone else to take their place then we would offer a refund at any time, less any costs incurred with the transaction.
Save This Event
When & Where
Disciplined Agile Consortium
Scott W. Ambler will be the instructor for this workshop. Scott Ambler + Associates is the thought leader behind the Disciplined Agile (DA) process decision framework and its application. We advise organizations to be more effective applying agile and lean processes within the context of their business, with a focus on disciplined agile strategies. This focus enables us to provide our clients with a customized unique and unparalleled experience in delivering agile adoption, transformation, coaching services, staff augmentation and training. Our experts provide successful solutions for each client’s needs and pain points.