Actions and Detail Panel
Data Visualization Workshop - University of Alberta
Tue, 28 February 2017, 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM MST
WestGrid is pleased to present a free workshop on scientific visualization using VisIt, an open source, multi-platform data analysis and visualization tool.
With VisIt, users can interactively visualize and analyze 2- and 3-dimensional data defined on structured, adaptive, and unstructured meshes. VisIt users can also animate these datasets in time, and manipulate them with a variety of operators.
- No prior visualization experience is required. We will provide sample data and codes for the exercises, or you can bring your own dataset if you would like to visualize it with VisIt.
- This full-day workshop will feature many interactive hands-on exercises, so attendees will need to bring a laptop (and a powercord) they can use. The laptop should have VisIt installed (http://goo.gl/KcGWHa) prior to the workshop.
- Introduction and VisIt's GUI overview
- accessing data and managing files
- working with plots
- working with operators
- interactive tools
- quantitative analysis
- making it pretty
- animation and keyframing
- data comparison
- plots, selections, exporting
- overview of remote visualization resources
Please note that coffee / cookies will be provided in the morning and afternoon breaks, but there will be no organized food so attendees are responsible for their own lunch.
Who Should Attend:
All disciplines and experience levels are welcome. You do not need to be a current WestGrid account holder to participate in this workshop. Any researcher who is interested in learning more about tools and techniques for visualizing data sets is invited to attend.
If you have questions about this session, please email email@example.com.
The featured image, courtesy of Forrest Hoffman and Jamison Daniel of Oak Ridge National Laboratory, is a visualization that depicts the carbon dioxide from various sources that are advected individually as tracers in the atmosphere model. Carbon dioxide from the land is shown as plumes during February 1900. Image sourced from the VisIt website gallery.
Date and Time
University of Alberta
11405 - 87 Avenue
ECHA L1-220 (Edmonton Clinic Health Academy)
Edmonton, Alberta T6G 1C9