Actions and Detail Panel
DogSafe Canine First Aid 101
Sat, 30 September 2017, 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM MDT
DOGSAFE® canine first aid is the premier provider of canine first aid and safety education for dog lovers and dog professionals in Canada, and around the world.
The Dogsafe Canine First Aid program is designed for both dog lovers and dog professionals to deal with a sick or injured dog until veterinary care is available. Canine first aid is different than human first aid in that dogs cannot tell us what hurts and there is no ambulance to call for help. Prevention of injury is the key, however, accidents do happen. What you do between when an injury happens and when veterinary care is available will greatly affect a dogs chances for a full recovery.
The Dogsafe Canine First Aid 101 course in an in-depth and comprehensive course where you will learn how to:
- prevent common injuries
- conduct a head to tail assessment
- tell if your dog is experiencing pain
- recognize the four signs of illness or injury
- respond to any emergency in four easy steps
- safely approach an injured dog
- take your dog's vital signs and three other health tests
- perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR)
- perform artificial respiration
- remove an airway obstruction (choking)
- prevent and treat for shock
- control deadly bleeding
- deal with penetrating objects
- prevent and treat eye injuries
- prevent and treat abdominal wounds
- recognize risk factors and respond to bloat
- prevent and respond to drowning
- assess and respond to bone and joint injuries
- prevent and respond to poisonings
- prevent and respond to frostbite and hypothermia
- prevent and respond to heatstroke
- treat minor burns
- treat various wounds
A 118 page DOGSAFE® training and reference manual is also included in your ticket price ($18.95 retail value).
Dogsafe® courses are designed to make complex topics easy. Our teaching techniques will appeal to auditory, visual and tactile learners, and will include instruction, demonstration, hands-on practice with canine CPR manikins, discussion, Q&A, plus videos. Everyone will learn through seeing, listening, moving and doing which improves knowledge retention. This means that you not only learn topics on course day, but more importantly, retain the information for years to come. This makes learning with Dogsafe not only fun, but effective.
*Registrants must be at least 14 years of age to participate in course (10 years if registered with a parent).