Actions and Detail Panel
Golden Beet Trials Field Day!
Thu, 30 June 2016, 2:00 PM – 5:00 PM PDT
Join The Fraser Valley Permaculture Guild, UBC Farm, and FarmFolk CityFolk for our first BC Seed Trials Field Day of 2016 at Local Harvest Farm!
The BC Seed Trials is a collaborative project between UBC Farm, FarmFolk CityFolk and the Bauta Family Initiative on Canadian Seed Security. Through variety trials on working farms throughout BC, as well as at the UBC Farm agricultural research facility, the BC Seed Trials will help farmers identify promising varieties for seed production, helping improve the availability of high-quality, well-adapted, regionally-produced vegetable seed for BC agriculture. Read more about the project here.
Join BC Seed Trials Lead Researcher, Alex Lyon from UBC at this Field Day which will focus on in-field observations and evaluation of golden beets. Golden beets are growing in popularity and hold the potential as a significant seed crop here in BC. This is a chance to get to know beets like never before!
We will look at 2 different beet fields at Local Harvest Farm:
1. Golden and Chioggia Beet Seed Trials
- This is an opportunity to observe and assess a range of traits in a diverse selection of 12 different Golden and Chioggia beet varieties and discuss your observations with researchers and other growers
- Learn to identify various traits and recognize differences in each variety - then choose the ones you like best!
2. Touchstone Gold Beet Seed Crop
- This beet seed crop, Touchstone Gold, was selected and stored in fall 2015 by Local Harvest Farmer Dan Oostenbrink with the help and mentorship of Mojave Kaplan of Planting Seeds Project. Close to 900 Touchstone Gold beet "stecklings" were then planted out in March 2016 under the advice of John Navazio, manager of Johnny's Selected Seeds' Plant Breeding Program and will mature in fall 2016!
- Observe this seed crop and assess it for its characteristics as a seed production crop
Don't miss this great opportunity to enhance your seed production knowledge!
Your $15 registration fee gets you an organic pizza baked on site and a local organic greens salad for dinner!
When: Thursday, June 30, 2016; 2:00 - 5:00 (pizza dinner to follow)
Where: Local Harvest Market; 7697 Lickman Road, Chilliwack
Questions? email Chris Thoreau: email@example.com