"H.O.P.E. Was Here" is a documentary produced and directed by independent New York based filmmaker Mark Denega which follows undergraduate students from New England participating in a service learning trip in Peru. Across North America, there is growing participation in short-term trips abroad by students and institutions, ostensibly for educational, research, or service activities. This raises questions about impacts and benefit, particularly for host communities abroad.
This event features a screening of the documentary with a panel discussion, with the objective of enabling participants to:
· Critically analyse common ethical considerations around short-term volunteering abroad - assessing impacts not only on themselves and the sending organisations, but also on communities abroad.
· Engage in discussions around effective and rational ways to address the concerns of short-term volunteering
· Discuss novel models and ideas that will optimize community outcomes associated with short-term volunteering.
Tentative Event schedule:
3:30-3:40 Welcome and introductions
3:45-4:45 Screening of "H.O.P.E. Was Here"
4:45-5:30 Panel discussion
5:30-7:00 Reception with panelists
Brought to you by:
1. 53rd Week: a 501(c)3 organization based in Brooklyn, New York, that aims to optimize the outcomes and minimize the harms associated for communities abroad that receive short-term volunteers through research, education, advocacy, and innovation.
2. The Division of Clinical Public Health in the Dalla Lana School of Public Health: holds a unique interest in global health ethics, disparities, and training that relate to the topic of the panel at hand.
Help us bring more great events to Toronto! As a non-profit organization, The 53rd Week is committed to bringing thoughtful and unique events to university communities to discuss various topics on voluntourism, but relies on funding to bring speakers and panelists to Toronto. A small donation (suggested minimum $10, tax receipts available on request) would go a long way to helping advocacy programming on this topic in Canada and beyond. We appreciate your support!
Have questions about "H.O.P.E. was Here" Documentary Screening & Panel Discussion?
Contact 53rd Week