Inocent, etc. is a fundraising project for an orphanage in East Africa. Here's the background story...
Vancouver based travel photographer Randy Plett brought 25 disposable film cameras down to an orphanage in East Africa and taught the children how to use them. He left for a week and came back to pick up the cameras, process the film and give the children their prints... they were incredibly excited and happy to have photos of them and their friends. This was something that they had never done before!
Back here in Vancouver, we're creating a fundraising art exhibition to not only share their photos and their story, but to raise funding for the orphanage to build property improvements, like dorm rooms and bathrooms, install a solar panel system, and send children to school by providing uniforms, supplies, and tuition. Our long term goals are to establish strategies for continued sustainable support that will last for years to come.
is named after one of the children that live in the orphanage (yes, that's Inocent with one 'n'). You can view our project website: www.InocentEtc.com
or view our Facebook page: www.facebook.com/InocentEtc
. Visit us online to get a sneak peak, and don't forget to 'like' our page!
Our first big event is coming up soon! Here are the details:
- Where: 2075 Alberta St., Vancouver
- When: June 7th, at 7 - 10 PM
- Tickets: $25 (can be bought online: www.inocent.eventbrite.ca). Tickets must be purchased in advance. No door sales are allowed.
- Transit: Very close to the Olympic Village Skyrain Station!
- Parking: Yes, ample paid parking across the street. Some free street parking.
It's going to be a fabulous event, and all of our proceeds will be going back to the orphanage. We're planning to raise between $12,000 - $24,000 and we're working with Rotary Club District 5050 to match (double!) our fundraising efforts.
During the event:
- 44 photographs will be displayed beautifully.
- There will be refreshments served and things to nibble on.
- We will have some brief presentations and videos.
- There will be a wonderful selection of items to bid for in our silent auction.
- There will be a chance to purchase some prints.
We're also expecting a great group of like-minded people that love photography, travel, and the idea of giving back to a community 15,000 km's away!
One of the more interesting aspects of the evening is our "reverse postcards". They will feature some of the photographs created by the children. If you come out to our gallery opening, you will be able to purchase these postcards (for $5.00) and write an encouraging message on the back to support the children. We will then send the postcards to Tanzania! Of course, all proceeds will be donated back to the orphanage.
Get tickets quickly before we sell out!
Thanks, I hope to see you there!
Have questions about Inocent, etc. Gallery Opening Night?
Contact the organizer