KIDS TRIATHLON 2017 - Schwartz/Reisman Centre - VAUGHAN
SCHWARTZ/REISMAN CENTRE 4th ANNUAL KIDS TRIATHLON, VAUGHAN, ONTARIO
SUNDAY JUNE 11, 2017 (Kids Ages 3-12)
- NEW THIS YEAR: All ages (3-12) will participate in the full triathlon this year (swim-bike-run).
- Participants will be organized into small race groups based on similar age.
- Event will run rain or shine.
- All participants will receive a special edition t-shirt, medal, and race kit.
- Race and event philosophy based on FUN and PARTICIPATION (no individual awards). Everyone wins!
- Full day of family activities including a BBQ, Food Trucks, Bouncy Castles, Character appearances & more!
Early Bird: $35/participant (Save $5). Early Bird registration deadline is March 31st. We expect this event to sell out!
Regular Fee: $40/participant. Final registration deadline is May 25th (earlier if sold out).
Race will run rain or shine. No refunds. No race day registration. No exceptions. Registration is non-transferrable and non-refundable.
RACE DAY: Sunday, June 11th. Check-in starts at 8:00am. Participants in the 3-7 age group must check in and setup bikes in transision area BEFORE 8:30am. Participants in the 8-12 age group must check in their bikes the DAY BEFORE (at Race Kit pick upday on Saturday, June 10th). First race heats will start at 9:00am with youngest age groups.
RACE KIT PICKUP/ORIENTATION/COURSE TOURS: Saturday, June 10th: between 2pm-5pm.
- The distance each athlete completes will be based on their age on the date of the race (June 11, 2016). This age is used to place them in the appropriate age group.
- All ages (3-12) will be participating in a Triathlon event (swim-bike-run).
- Race heats are organized by age (youngest to oldest).
- Helmets are mandatory for all participants (no exceptions). It is parents' responsibility to have helmets and bikes in proper working order.
- Lifejackets and flutterboards will be provided and available to any child that needs them. Lifeguards will be supervising the pool at all times. Tricycles and training wheels are permitted.
- Check-in and Transition (bike setup) will open up at 8:00am. Bikes must be in transition area no later than 8:30am for 3-7 age group. Older participants (age 8-12) must drop off their bikes and helmets the day before the event on Saturday, June 10th during Race-Kit Pickup and Course Orientation.
- Kids in the 3-5 category MUST have one parent participate with them (no exceptions). One parent must accompany their child to the pool deck and will swim alongside their child, and run alongside for the run and bike portions of the race. Parental participation is mandatory for this age group.
- Kids ages 6+ must race independently with NO parental assistance. Please ensure that you discuss this with your child so they have an awareness of this before they arrive. We will have many volunteers helping all of our participants.
- Gear: wear swim suit, bring goggles, bring shoes, socks, shirt, and race bib to pool deck. No bags or bottles on pool deck. Needed items only please.
- Please ensure that your child knows how many laps of the swim and run they must do. Lap counting is the athlete’s responsibility. Please discuss this with your child beforehand; it will be easier while they are racing. It is important that your child does the correct number of laps to ensure fairness to all participants.
- Please arrive early to avoid the check-in rush. Check-in begins at 8:00am.
- It is highly recommended that you attend the orientation/course tours and pick up race kits on Saturday June 10th between 2-5pm, and help your child become familiar with our race course and their distances.
- Swim leg takes place in our outdoor salt-water pool.
- THIS EVENT WILL RUN RAIN OR SHINE. PLEASE DRESS ACCORDINGLY. REGISTRATION IS NON-REFUNDABLE.
APPROXIMATE RACE DISTANCES:
Ages 3-5: swim 15m (half lap), bike 500m (1 lap), run 75m (quarter lap)
Ages 6-7: swim 25m (1 lap), bike 1k (2 laps), run 150m (half lap)
Ages 8-9: swim 50m (2 laps), bike 1k (2 laps), run 500m (1 lap)
Ages 10-12: swim 75m (3 laps), bike 1.5k (3 laps), run 1k (2 laps)
*** Distances and laps subject to change***
WHAT TO BRING:
All your child needs is a bicycle (training wheels are permitted) or tricycle, PROPERLY FITTED bike helmet with functioning chin strap, swim suit, goggles (optional), running shoes (no sandals or Crocs), shorts and shirt, water bottle, hat, towels and sunscreen. Participants are encouraged to wear the provided race t-shirt (with race bib attached). Change rooms and locker rooms are available for use at the centre.
BIKE DROP OFF
Ages 3-7: Bikes must be setup on race day before 8:30am.
Ages 8-12: Bikes must be dropped off on Saturday, June 10th between 2-5pm.
RACE KIT PICK UP AND COURSE TOURS FOR ALL PARTICIPANTS (Saturday, June 10th):
Race kit pick up will take place on Saturday, June 10th from 2-5pm at The Schwartz/Reisman Centre 9600 Bathurst Street, Vaughan. Enter building from parking at north-west corner and follow signage to kit pick up room. Kids ages 8-12 will also be dropping off their bikes on this day (mandatory).
COURSE TOURS: will take place on Saturday, June 10th at 2:00pm, 3:00pm, and 4:00pm. It is highly recommended that all participants come to a course tour to familiarize themselves with our course and answer any questions you have. You do not need to book your course tour in advance. Just come to the one that suits you best. There will be no tours on race day (Sunday).
EVENT PARKING: Free above ground and underground parking is available at the centre (limited). Parking is accessed from Lebovic Campus Drive. There is also street parking around the centre.
Our focus is on FUN and participation. No individual awards or times. Each and every athlete will receive the same applause and medal when they cross our finish line. Everyone wins!
WHAT TO DO AFTER THE RACE IS FINISHED?
If you participated in our Triathlon event last year you will know that we make a strong effort to provide as many fun and engaging activities for both kids and families throughout the day as possible. While we don’t want to give away any secrets too early, be sure to plan ahead and spend your full day with us as we will be sure to keep your kids energized and having a great time!
For more information about the kids triathlon, please contact:
Stephen Gray at 905-303-1821 x3020 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Do you have a local business that could benefit from gaining exposure at a local community event? In order to improve the Triathlon each year we are heavily reliant on the assistance of sponsoring businesses. If you have a business and would like to get involved please email email@example.com
Volunteers are a huge part of our formula for success. This is also a great way for high school students to earn needed volunteer credit hours for graduation. Please send an email as soon as you are ready to commit to this event. This event could not take place without the gracious help of volunteers! If you and/or your teenaged child would like to volunteer for this event, please contact Stephen: 905-303-1821 x3020 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you and HAVE FUN!