San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Join Nick Woolsey and special guests on a beautiful rainforest island for ten days of poi, flow arts, and adventures! (First confirmed special guest is Karina Strong from Vesta Fire! :)
Your awesome experience will include:
- Diving into advanced poi and flow arts, including dance, rhythm, choreography, and lots of moves!
- Enjoying the BIG SAUNA and pond
- Being blown away by the beauty of Lasqueti Island
- Feeling good and healthy by eating yummy organic food
- Optional climbing of mountains and spinning fire on top of them
- Co-produced talent show!
Why? To have the time of your life, developing your skills with something you love, with some of the greatest people you will ever meet!
Prerequisites: For this retreat you need to be comfortable with all the poi basics.
Lodging: Leviathan is RUSTIC. There are no private rooms for accommodation. Most people will bring tents and sleeping bags. There is a room above the sauna, and floor space in the studio for those who cannot bring tents. There are also a couple great spots for hammocks.
Please note the following:
- There are no flush-toilets, just nice outhouses.
- There is a rustic, outdoor shower.
- The ferry to Lasqueti is for foot-passengers only. If you drive, you will have to leave your car at the French Creek parking lot.
- We will pick you up at the ferry terminal on Lasqueti Island.
- All the electricity is from solar panels. So charging phones is ok, but no hair-dryers etc.
- There is a bar/restaurant with internet in the evenings, a 20-minute walk away.
- Lasqueti is remote, off-grid, and a long way to the hospital
- Leviathan Studio requires that you sign a disclaimer form and present photo-ID upon arrival.
- Leviathan Studio puts a lot of love into the food. Organic meat is served at most meals (fish, chicken, and lamb). Vegan is an option.
- Yes, bring other toys! (fire-gear, hoops, levi-wands, juggling balls, slack-lines, etc.).
- Bring rain gear in case we get rain, swim suits, hiking boots, bug spray, and anything else that may help you enjoy ten days in a temperate coastal rain-forest paradise. :)
Getting There: Lasqueti Island is 5-8 hours travel from Vancouver, including two ferry rides (cost is about $38CAD). There is usually some car-pooling, but don't worry, it's easy by public transit. Make sure to visit their HOW TO GET TO LEVIATHAN page!
Cost: $1150CAD +5%GST ($400CAD deposit via Eventbrite, and the balance due by the first day of the event)
DETAILS ABOUT "So you wanna go Pro? -- Business for Flow Artists" with Karina Strong:
Love to spin? Yearn to perform? Want to actually get paid for it? We will be discussing different business models and strategies for becoming a play professional. Strategic planning, identifying your unique talent, setting your rate, marketing, and business ethics will be explored.
Karina is the Ring Mistress of Vancouver Island's Vesta Entertainment. With a background and degree in social work, and now working as a teacher in the school system, her interest in the flow arts lead to a certificate in Small Business Management and the start of Vesta in 2010. She has been a full time performer for the past 7 years. Come Play With Us!
Save This Event
When & Where
Nick Woolsey is a world-renowned poi teacher and the brain behind playpoi.com. He has taught poi to thousands of people, in over a dozen countries.