Excelerator BI Homepage
Location to be confirmed.
This is a 2 day live training course that covers everything you need to know to start your journey with Power Pivot, Power Query and Power BI. The course is suitable for people with no prior knowledge of Power Pivot, Power Query and Power BI, but also excellent for people that have been using these tools but that are struggling to make progress on their own. The concepts are very learnable but they are different to traditional Excel and hence hard to learn yourself. You will make rapid progress in your understanding when you have exposure to this quality Instructor Lead training.
The course will be held on Mon 20th and Tues 21st Feb 2017. The training course will be delivered by Matt Allington who is a Microsoft MVP and author of the book “Learn to Write DAX”.
Microsoft is investing multiple millions of dollars developing products like Power BI, Power Pivot for Excel and Power Query for Excel. This is driving high interest in the Excel Power User community because real business data experts can now deliver enterprise quality reporting and analytics from their own PC. The good news is that the most useful capabilities in Power BI, Power Pivot and Power Query are conveniently the most learnable, but you will indeed need to learn them. In this two-day training, Matt Allington delivers a targeted training course that teaches you exactly what you need to know to get you on your personal BI journey. Matt brings his 25 years of Commercial, Sales and IT experience plus his deep knowledge of these technologies to make this training tangible, practical and usable. This learning in this course will cover:
- Accessing your data from wherever it is stored, and efficiently load it to your new BI tools
- The basics of data modelling and how it is different to Excel.
- Deep coverage of the fundamentals of the DAX language (Data Analysis Expressions). You need to learn this if you want to get anywhere, but you can do it.
- An introduction to some of the more powerful DAX functions, with explanations of how they work – you really need someone to explain these clearly, and that is what you get.
- Introduction to Power Query, and hands on learning of several reusable patterns that cover common use cases for loading ad hoc data.
- Introduction to Power BI, including how to leverage all the skills covered above from within Power BI, plus coverage of what is different from Excel so that you can get started immediately.
All participants will receive a free copy of the book “Learn to Write DAX”. With this book you can continue your learning after the live training using the same familiar learning style covered in the course.
Things you need to know
The training will commence at 9am and finish at 5pm each day. You will bring your own* laptop with Excel, Power Pivot and Power Query installed – this will be confirmed in a logistics email the week prior to the course training date. *If you do not have a laptop, please contact Matt – there is a small number of free loan equipment available if you are not able to bring a laptop with you.
The course is normally taught on Excel 2013 however the learning is applicable for Excel 2010, Excel 2016 and Power BI.
Cancellations will be accepted 7 business days prior to the course start date. After that time no refunds will be issued. If you are unable to attend for any reason at short notice (ie with less than 7 day’s notice), you can send a proxy to attend the course in your place with prior agreement. The training course may be rescheduled or cancelled if insufficient registrations are received up until 7 days prior to the course date. In this event a suitable arrangement will be made to either refund the course fee in full, or reschedule to another session at the choice of the student. The objective is always to make you happy.
For custom on-site training or further information, please contact Matt directly via exceleratorbi.com.au to discuss your needs.