Metal Shop 101
In this class, you'll learn about working safely in a metalshop environment and how to operate basic tools including the drill press, cold cut saw, bandsaw, brake press, and much more. You'll perform various operations to become comfortable and proficient with the safe usage of these tools.
Horizontal band saw, drill press, angle grinder, sheet metal brake, shear, bender and various hand tools. Please note: this class does not cover the plasma cutter, MIG welder and CNC mill, all of which are all covered in their own courses.
Various metal cutting, drilling and shaping techiques.
- Fire extinguishers
- Fire exits
- First aid kit located at front desk
- Metal shop appropriate clothing:
- safety gear required (safety glasses, hearing protection, masks, respirators when needed (dust and fumes))
- Long sleeved shirt
- Full length pants which fit over your boots – to stop hot metal/sparks from getting into your footwear
- Natural fibers – Do not wear synthetics, they melt into the skin –
- Closed toed shoes – Preferably leather
- Long hair, drawstrings and shirt tails/sleeves tucked in/ tied back, safety glasses at all times in shop, hearing protection recommended
- minors (17 and under) must be accompanied by an adult who’s also taken the class
- Main causes of injury are:
- Sharp metal edges
- Heat and flame
- Arc Flash
- Electric Shock
- Welding Gases
Is there an age limit to enter the event?
The minimum age for participants is 13 years old with a particpating guardian or 16 otherwise.
What are my parking options at MakerLabs?
MakerLabs' parking lot is located on the east side of the building on the corner of Hawks Avenue and East Cordova Street.
Where can I contact the organizer with any questions?
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns.
Can I sign up for the member rate?
If you sign up for a membership on the day of the class, you'll receive a refund for the difference between the general and membership class price.
How do I cancel or reschedule my class?
Refunds or credit for future classes will only be provided if we are notified by email to email@example.com at least 24 hours in advance of the class. No refunds will be provided for late cancellation, but we do offer a 50% credit torwards a future class.
What happens if I show up late?
Please arrive 15 minutes before the schedule start of the class so that it can start on time. Attendees arriving more than 5 minutes late will not be allowed in the class, and no refund will be provided.