Actions and Detail Panel
PhysioYoga: Creating Pelvic Power: Through Feet, Throat and Pelvic Floor
Sat, 1 April 2017, 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM PDT
Creating Pelvic Power: through Feet, Throat and Pelvic Floor
Your pelvic floor plays an important role, not only in bladder, bowel, reproduction and sexual function, but also in hip function, breathing, core strategies, standing balance and more! The pelvic floor is also known to be intimately connected to the feet and the floor of the mouth.
Pelvic health issues related to these many roles are commonly poorly addressed or often left untreated in both women and men.
Join Shelly Prosko, Physical Therapist and Professional Yoga Therapist for this one day pelvic floor health PhysioYoga workshop for healthcare professionals and yoga therapists/teachers at Stretch Yoga Studio in Vancouver, BC.
This inspiring, educational and FUN session will include lecture and practice. We will explore evidence surrounding the physical, emotional, psychosocial and spiritual factors that influence pelvic floor function and combine it with aspects of yoga (asana, meditation, pranayama, philosophy) and physiotherapy exercises that can be safely and effectively used immediately to address and maintain optimal pelvic health!
Shelly Prosko, Physical Therapist, Professional Yoga Therapist & Pilates Instructor, is a highly respected leader and pioneer in the area of PhysioYoga Therapy, a combination of Physical Therapy and Medical Therapeutic Yoga. Shelly's mission is to educate, inspire and empower people to create health by authentically sharing her skills, knowledge and expertise as she travels internationally offering specialty PhysioYoga Therapy courses, presenting at international conferences, lecturing at University Programs, instructing at Yoga Teacher Trainings and Yoga Therapy Schools and offering individual treatment.
Please visit www.physioyoga.ca for more details about Shelly and her offerings.
Objectives and learning outcomes:
- briefly overview the anatomy and biomechanics of the pelvic, respiratory, and vocal diaphragms
- learn the factors that contribute to performance and function of the pelvic floor, using the pancha maya kosha model or biopsychosocial-spiritual approach
- learn how the respiratory diaphragm, pelvic floor, and vocal diaphragm all work together as a coordinated team and can potentially influence pelvic health and wellness
- discuss the first 2 chakras and discuss the role they may play in pelvic health
- define and discuss the 4 categories of pelvic floor health dysfunctions
- discuss the debate surrounding the performance of kegel exercises for pelvic floor health and rehabilitation using a best evidence approach
- discuss Mula Bandha (MB) including developing an understanding of the intention of MB and the differences and similarities to pelvic floor engagement
- outline factors that may contribute to a Non-Relaxing Pelvic Floor and health issues that may arise from over-recruitment of pelvic floor musculature
- outline different paths of yoga, including the 8 limbed path of Raja yoga, and how the components of the paths can contribute to a biopsychosocial-spiritual approach to pelvic floor health and rehabilitation
- learn and experience breathing methods and meditation techniques as they relate to pelvic floor health, with a focus on awareness and relaxation of pelvic floor muscles
- discover and practice awareness of pelvic diaphragmatic excursion by integrating physiotherapy exercises, Pilates and yoga (mindful movement, breathing and meditation)
- learn and participate in activities that include components of the core strategy system that have been shown to influence pelvic floor muscle engagement and function, including hip and lumbo-pelvic strategies, through the use of physiotherapy exercises, Pilates, yoga postures (asanas) and breathing methods
- learn and experience how the voice, respiratory and pelvic diaphragms work together through breath, movement and vocalization
- participate in activities to enhance foot awareness and potential connection to the pelvic floor
What are my transport/parking options getting to the event?
Easy Park 180 Keefer street is $9.75 for the day and only 250m from the Venue.
Where can I contact the organizer with any questions?
There are no refunds for cancellation within 48 hours of the event.