Actions and Detail Panel
Raw Finery Studio: Steampunk Sewing Workshops - Spats
Sat, 8 Oct 2016, 2:00 PM – Sat, 22 Oct 2016, 5:00 PM EDT
Spats: A shortening of spatterdashes, or spatter guards which are a type of classic footwear accessory for outdoor wear, covering the instep and the ankle. Their intended practical purpose was to protect shoes and socks from mud or rain but this footwear also served as a feature of stylish dress in accordance with the fashions of the period.
In this 2 week workshop we will be making steampunk inspire non-historical spats. Bring your own materials and design idea and we'll help you turn your idea into a creation. Please message us your design ahead of the first class for design feasibility, and list of additional supplies needed to make your creation.
Class 1: Pattern making, styling, cutting, sewing
- discuss the various styles of spats from traditional to fantasy inspire
- working with each students to refine with their design
- Learn to drape and draft spats pattern
Class 2: Sewing and adding finishing touches.
- Sewing the spats
- working with each students to add/sew finishing touches to their design
This workshop runs for 2 weeks and each class is 3hrs.
October 8th 2-5pm
October 22th 2-5pm
Course fee is $85 + HST + Ticket Fee (materials not included)
Minimum Class Size: 5
Fabric and machine storage is avalible between class for additional $15
* Our studio is setup with a suite of JUKI industrial sewing machines. Basic operation, and safety training will be included in the class
** Limited drafting and sewing supplies is available at the studio, it is highly recommended to bring your own.
*** Students must have basic to intermediate sewing experience to take this class. Pattern drafting or draping experience is a plus.
**** No refund for cancellation within 1 week of class commencement.