Actions and Detail Panel
Rocky Ridge Recreation Facility Tour and Presentation
Thu, 29 September 2016, 2:30 PM – 6:00 PM MDT
The project team at Rocky Ridge Recreation Facility including PCL Construction Management Inc., RJC Consulting Engineers, ISL Engineering and Land Services Ltd. and GEC Architecture are sharing their collaborative experiences constructing the largest wood roof structure in North America. The presentation will showcase the project’s success story from the perspective of the Prime Consultant, Structural Design Consultant, Specialty Design Support Engineer and Construction Manager.
The presentation and tour features the following presenters and topics:
Iian Ho, PCL Construction Management Inc., Construction Management Contractor
- Project Overview
- Contract set up and management
- Creating an environment for success through Construction Planning and Collaboration
- Lean Construction (simplifying installation, 3D modelling)
- Minimizing construction costs
- Construction and glulam fabrication challenges
Mark Ritchie, RJC Consulting Engineers, Structural Design Consultant and Base Building Engineer
Overall project challenges:
- Location of amenities vs. different soil strata
- Different working environments
- Typical details in a non-typical building to reduce cost
Determination of the wood roof structure framing scheme:
- Wood shrinkage
- Sacrificial lamination
- Framing scheme
Project detailing to reduce construction costs:
- One single edge detail on a non-typical building
- Complexity of this buildings typical edge detail.
Robin Zirnhelt, ISL Engineering and Land Services Ltd, Timber Specialty Design Support Engineer
- Understanding scope delineation
- Understanding roles and responsibilities
- Making the interface with the base building engineer easy and meaningful
- Making cost effective timber connection solutions where it counts.
- Some sample connection types and why these were chosen.
Adrian Benoit, GEC Architecture, Prime Consultant
- Design Concept / Inspiration
- Schematic Design / Exploration
- Parametric modeling /optimization
Event Date and Location:
Thursday, September 29 – Calgary
Rocky Ridge Recreation Facility (RRRF)
11300 Rocky Ridge Rd. NW., Calgary, Alberta
Cost: $50 + GST
Please note this event will have a maximum capacity of 22 guests and will be based on the first guests to register. Safety gear is required for this tour. PPE is NOT provided by the tour hosts.
Please arrive by 2:15 pm in the RRRF boardroom to check in with your saftey gear and collect your name badge.
***YOU MUST BRING YOUR OWN PPE GEAR OR YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ATTEND THE TOUR!
(hard hat, safety vest and steel toe boots/shoes, safety glasses)
2:30-3:30 pm Presentations in RRRF Boardroom (Approx. 1hr-1hr and 20 minutes)
3:30-4:15 pm Tour *bring your own safety gear (see above for items required)
4:15-6 pm Networking, location Ceilis Royal Oak Calgary, #7155, 8650 112 Ave NW Calgary (3 minutes away, must provide your own transportation)
Questions? Contact us at email@example.com or 780-392-0754
Cancellation policy: Registration is non-refundable. The registration is transferable to another individual. Changes to the registration must be sent in advance of the event to Jerry Calara at firstname.lastname@example.org.