safeTALK: suicide alertness for everyone training/workshop (for families and community members)
Tuesday, 31 January 2017 from 12:00 PM to 4:30 PM (EST)
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
12:00 - arrive and enjoy light lunch (provided)
12:30 - Training commences
4-4.30 - Conclusion and Wrap-up
Please note that seating is limited to 24. If you 'purchase' a ticket and discover you cannot attend, please return it so another will have the opportunity to attend. Thank you!
"Most people with thoughts of suicide don’t truly want to die, but are struggling with the pain in their lives."
safeTALK is a 3.5-4 hour training in suicide alertness. It aims to help participants recognize a person with thoguhts of suicide and connect them with resources who can help them in choosing to live. Participants do not need any formal preparation to attend the training - anyone over the age of 15 who wants to make a difference can learn the safeTALK steps.
Some goals and objectives of the training:
- notice and respond to situations where suicide thoughts may be present
- recognize that invitations for help are often overlooked
- move beyond the common tendency to miss, dismiss, and avoid suicide
- apply the TALK steps: Tell, Ask, Listen, KeepSafe and
- know community resources and how to connect someone with thoughts of suicide to them for further suicide-safer help.
(Taken/adapted from safeTALK info sheet, 2015, LivingWords Education, Inc.)