SKETCH LEVEL 2 – Premise to Performance
During this 6 week course, students will focus on:
- Generating material for original sketches
- Using improv & brainstorming as a writing tool
- Writing sketches (both individually and as a team)
- Pitching, producing & punching-up sketches in a comedy writers room
- Developing strong premises, comedic conflict, comic twists, tone & timing
- Creating strong physical action & memorable comic characters
- Building a sketch show (order, transitions, variety, etc…)
- Weekly rehearsals of sketches & overall show
- A live performance of the final sketch show at the Havana Theatre!
This Level Two course will require some work outside of class hours in the form of challenging and fun writing assignments, final drafts of sketches, and learning lines but all rehearsals are intended to take place in the room with the other cast members for maximum fun/support/joke-making. Be ready to write & create like mad!
The 6 week Premise to Performance class is going to be an absolute blast, giving Instant Theatre students the awesome experience of being able to create & perform their own live show as part of a fully formed sketch troupe. As well as, create the beginnings of a sketch portfolio and gain valuable writing & performing credits!
Jackie Blackmore was born and raised in Vancouver, has a BFA from ECUAD and has been a professional actor, teacher, improvisor, sketch comedian, award-winning playwright & comedy writer for over 24 years. She has written, performed & toured North America regularly selling out shows with her many sketch groups, and was also a staff writer and lead performer for the late night sketch comedy TV series, ‘Off Centre Television’. Currently, Jackie teaches Sketch Writing Courses at Langara College & Vancouver Film School and directs 6-9 live sketch shows a year with the VFS Sketch Company. Jackie also acts in Film, TV & Commercials, and writes and performs in the sketch groups, ‘The Skinny’ and ‘Strapless Comedy’.