The Art of Poultry Butchery will leave you with a ton of knowledge on butchering a bird. Through working, learning, researching and teaching, your guide seeks to revive an age-old craft that has fallen out of step in current methods of purchasing and preparing food.
This class will be hands-on and you'll be taking home two birds.
Wes will start by taking you through the basic anatomy of a bird followed by teaching you various trussing methods and the breakdown of the bird. You will practice trussing, butterflying, spatchcocking, de-boning, making ''supremes', stuffed legs, breast and wings. As always, this class is hands-on.
You want to take this class because:
- You're a rural or urban homesteader who wants to learn how to butcher your own chickens or that of a local farmers
- You're a home chef and want to become more familiar with the anatomy of a bird and proper processing techniques
- You're a doer and are curious about the butchery process and yearning to learn a valuable, hands-on skill.
The chickens come from a local and sustainable farm called Fenwood Farms in Ancaster. We believe that this farm represents the best possible life for a chicken.
- Access to a professional teacher with extensive experience in butchery.
- Local and sustainable chicken. We choose to support farmers who honour and respect the life of the bird.
- Small class sizes and two birds per participant. There will only be 8 people maximum in this class.
- Taking home fresh pasture-raised chicken!
Where: Artisanale French Country Cooking, 214 Woolwich Street, Guelph, ON
Cost: $125 - includes two chickens to take home ($50 value).
To Bring: Your favourite apron. You will have the option of purchasing Jamie's newest book Home Butchering Handbook for $20.
**You do not need to register through Eventbrite to be a participant of this workshop. If you do not wish to register this way, please contact email@example.com. We can accept cash and cheque.
- Minga will provide a 100% refund for workshops cancelled by Minga.
- If a registrant cancels a workshop with more than 48 hours notice, a 100% refund will be issued.
- If a registrant cancels with less than 48 hours notice or does not show up, no refund will be issued.
- The above policies apply for pre-registered workshops. Refunds or credits will not be issued for a missed class.
* Please note that we’ll be sending out information about specifics of the workshop a few days before the workshop, including a reminder of what to bring.