Corporate social responsibility programs are considered an organizational best practice. A focus on sustainability helps organizations manage their social and environmental impacts, improving their bottom line. Just as importantly, the disclosure of such activities has become a topic of importance for stakeholders such as employees, customers, investors and the government.
In this 2-day course participants will gain the knowledge to start or enhance their organization’s sustainability reporting projects through providing a current and relevant overview of the sustainability reporting universe.
Students will gain a strong understanding of sustainability reporting frameworks, best practices, pitfalls to avoid, and ways to ensure their sustainability reporting is meaningful and value-added to their organization. This will be done through discussion, review of up-to-date research, and analysis of current existing sustainability reports. Additionally, participants will gain an enhanced ability to assess and evaluate other organization’s sustainability reports.
Participants will leave with:
- An up-to-date understanding of the state of sustainability reporting internationally, with a focus on Canadian content
- In-depth insight into the most widely accepted sustainability reporting frameworks, with a focus on the Global Reporting Initiative
- Knowledge regarding sustainability best practices, with a focus on areas where sustainability reporting can provide true added value to an organization
- An awareness of common sustainability reporting pitfalls which typically require significant effort with little organizational benefit
- Tips, tools, and best practices to being or enhance their own organization’s sustainability reporting efforts
- The ability to better assess and evaluate information in other organization’s sustainability reports
- A larger network of like-minded professionals
A Certificate of Achievement will be issued at the end of this course.
Save This Event
When & Where
University of Toronto, School of the Environment
The challenge of sustainability is global, providing opportunities for collaboration across disciplines, between academics, governments and business leaders.
In today’s competitive marketplace, a strong economy requires a well-educated and highly skilled workforce. A company’s performance is directly tied to the skills of its employees. We are teaching and training tomorrow’s experts to meet these challenges by providing valuable knowledge, opening new career paths, fuelling economic growth and helping learners achieve their personal and professional goals.
The School of the Environment at the University of Toronto specializes in innovative, completely on-line, distance education courses and certificate programs for working professionals. Our applied and professional programs are developed in collaboration with industry experts and taught by leading industry practitioners ensuring current and leading edge knowledge and skills.
Courses are developed for mid-career professionals and entrepreneurs who need to enhance their expertise, internationally educated professionals augmenting credentials for the Canadian context and recent college and university graduates seeking to advance their careers, enabling all to excel. Make informed decisions: impact your profession.
For more information on admissions and courses, please select from the side menu. You can also download the Professional Development course calendar HERE.