Audience: K-7 classroom teachers, Literacy Coaches
Presenter: Connie Zimmer, Park West School Division, Literacy-Numeracy Curriculum Facilitator
This workshop provides participants with an overview of the Words Their Way™: Word Study in Action Developmental Model resource including components and strategies to ensure a successful implementation.
Highlights of the workshop:
- Review the research findings
- Understand the stages of development and instructional levels critical to learning to read
- Unpack the five stages of spelling development: Emergent Early, Letter Name, Word Patterns, Syllables and Affixes, Derivational Relations
- Examine key factors involving word study and recognize and demonstrate word sorting as an instructional strategy
- Connect students’ reading needs with word study activities
- Practice word sort activities to promote phonics, spelling, and vocabulary acquisition
- General overview of this developmental approach to spelling, phonics, and vocabulary instruction
Participants will become aware of the benefits of implementing this program in comparison to a traditional spelling program. Participants will come to understand how Words Their Way is one component of a balanced literacy program. Explore and recognize the importance of linking the spelling inventory results to writing and benchmark reading assessment.
How do I register?
At the top under "Ticket Information", select how many tickets you require for this event. If you are paying by credit card, select the "Order Now" button. If paying by cheque or purchase order, select "Show Other Payment Options". Fill in the required fields, and follow the prompts provided on the screen.
What are my payment options?
You can pay by credit card, cheque or purchase order:
- If you are paying by credit card, select the "Order Now" button.
- If paying by cheque, select "Show Other Payment Options". Fill in the required fields, and follow the prompts provided on the screen.
- If paying by purchase order, select "Show Other Payment Options". Fill in the required fields, and follow the prompts provided on the screen. Please submit your purchase order number to email@example.com.
How do I get help with registering?
For assistance, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Where can I contact the organizer with any questions about the content of the event?
Please email email@example.com
What is the refund policy?
You may receive a full refund if you have cancelled by 2 weeks before the start date of the event. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details. If you have purchased by credit card, your card will be refunded within 5 business days. If purchased through cheque or purchase order, your refund will be processed within 4 weeks.
In the event that Pearson Canada needs to cancel the event, all registrations will be refunded in full.
When & Where
Pearson Canada is Canada’s leading learning company. We provide innovative learning materials, technologies, assessments, and services to educators, professionals, and students in order to help people everywhere aim higher and fulfill their true potential.