About the Workshop Series
In this workshop, we teach different ways to manipulate data in tabular and text forms. We will use both the built-in R functions and the R package ‘dplyr’, which provides powerful high-level operations to summarize and transform data frames. We will also introduce you to “regular expressions”, a powerful notation for expressing text.
You will learn:
- to create subsets of rows or columns from data frames using dplyr,
- to select pieces of an object by indexing using element names or position,
- to change your data frames between wide and narrow formats using the packages reshape2 or tidyr,
- to work with text data (strings) including pasting strings together, modifying, and manipulating a specific segment in a string of text,
- to use regular expressions for finding and validating text in R objects and,
- how substitution patterns can be used for data cleaning.
Workshop 1: Monday, October 24th, 12:00pm - 2:00pm
Workshop 2: Wednesday, October 26th, 2:00pm - 4:00pm
Workshop 3: Friday, October 28th, 1:00pm - 3:00pm
“Introduction to R” workshop series or equivalent knowledge of R.
You can register to the workshop series ($36 plus fees). The fee includes 3 sessions, and 6 hours of instruction. Free for ECOSCOPE trainees (to rsvp contact email@example.com). No refunds.
For Set up, Notes & Exercises click here
About the Instructors
Davor Cubranic is a scientific programmer in the Department of Statistics and a member of Applied Statistics and Data Science Group (ASDa) He has been using R for six years and has authored eight R packages published on CRAN. Prior to joining UBC, Davor worked in the software industry developing tools for exploring and analyzing large datasets.
For more events, take a look at our event calendar