Zen Hiking - An Alpine Trek with Michael Stone
Friday, 23 June 2017 at 8:30 AM - Tuesday, 27 June 2017 at 1:00 PM (PDT)
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Cathedral Provincial Park, British Columbia
Located between the dense, wet forests of the Cascade Mountains and the desert-like Okanagan Valley, this mountainous park offers a rich variety of terrain including jagged mountain peaks, flower-dappled alpine meadows, fascinating rock formations, flora and fauna, and azure lakes. It is a true wilderness experience that is definitely for the adventurous.
See the following link for park details.
Waking up the Mind & Body through hiking, stillness, study and community. With the rugged mountains as our backdrop, we will use the 13th century Zen text Mountains and Rivers Sutra as guide for meditative practice. A retreat into the wilderness to deepen a sense of interconnectedness with all of life, the vastness of the alpine and support we create together in camp life. This retreat welcomes and supports people from all racial and ethnic groups, sex/gender identities, and religions.
June 23-27, 2017
Michael Stone, assisting teacher, and ENSO wilderness crew.
Shôken Michael Stone illuminates the ancient teachings and practices of Vipassana meditation, yoga and Mahayana Buddhism for a postmillennial age. Internationally recognized as a transformative visionary, teacher and agent of social change, his work manifests the fusion of committed spiritual practice and social action.
FEES AND REGISTRATION
1250 dollars (limited bursary positions available). Payment plan available.
This fee includes:
- transportation to and from base camp in Alpine Trucks (Ashnola River to Cathedral Lake Base 1.5 hours),
- tenting permits,
- chef preparing 3 meals per day.
- retreat program guided by Michael Stone
- trail expedition guided by ENSO Society
While this is a tenting excursion, Cathedral Lakes Lodge does provides simple cabins for an additional fee. One must be ready to live amongst all alpine elements and hike half and full days.
24 spaces available.
- Secure parking at the Ashnola River (transport to base camp from there).
- Attendees traveling by air will receive assistance to 'ride-share' to base river and back to Kelowna following retreat. Tents are also available for those travelling by air.
- Required Gear: hiking shoes/boots, warm base and outer layers, rain gear/gortex, gloves, hat, very warm sleeping bag, sunblock, sunhat, comfortable thermarest, tent, water bottle, mug, napkin, day pack. Please pay attention to weather conditions. Something to sit upon the ground (think light). Cathedral experiences warm sunny days to snow flurries 12 months of the year.
- You will be required to carry your own personal geer 1 k.m. to the camp site. We will hike from base camp and return to base camp each day (day pack with 2 water bottles).
- Please bring a very simple cushion for sitting practice (be creative). ENSO will provide ground mats to keep your cushion clean. There are also many moveable tree stumps if you want to keep things simple.
Hike Description - We will be hiking from 6-8 thousand feet. Our entire group will be adjusting to altitude changes. We will be hiking 3-5 hours with breaks for three days in total. Programming led by Michael Stone will occur at base camp, on the trail and daily summits. We will be moving at a moderate pace learning to collectively support varying levels of hiking speed and skill. It is not advisable to attend this trip if you have phsyical injuries. We are traversing both up and down a mountain. This is a low-level technical hike and suitable for ages 6 - 70 years of age, health permitting. Melissa Berry Appleton is available to help create expedition comfort for each attendee.
Arrive at Ashnola River on June 23rd 9:30 a.m.
Depart from Ashnola River traveling to base camp 10:00 a.m.
Depart base camp on June 27th 3:00 p.m.
Arrive at Ashnoloa River for departure home 4:30 p.m.
Refunds will not be issued witin 60 days of departure date.
Refund of paid amount less than 200.00 dollars will be aministered before 60 days to departure.
Save This Event
When & Where
ENSO Society for Contemplative Engagement
ENSO is dedicated to Mindfulness, Meditation, Contemplative practice and education. Rooted in tradition, alive in this era, we are compassionately engaged and serving to meet the needs of people, society and the environment.
VISION To support a sincere and dedicated practice community and to serve others by providing mature programs, designed for individual and cultural awakening.