Skip Main Navigation
Page Content

Cricket Ottawa (OVCC)

Ottawa Valley Cricket Council (OVCC) was established in 1920.

Game of cricket that was imported to Ontario from Britain in the 19th century. The Ottawa Cricket Club was established in 1849. In 1865, Governor General Lord Monck set aside 10 acres (4.5 hectares) at Rideau Hall specifically for cricket. The clubhouse, built in 1892, was constructed in the traditional English-style clubhouse architecture, with decorative millwork incorporating the initials of the Ottawa Cricket Club. In the early 1900s, American cricket teams were frequent competitors on the pitch. In the 1920s, three new Ottawa clubs were formed and their matches were played at Rideau Hall. These clubs still comprise the Rideau Hall Cricket Association, which continues to play on the historical pitch in front of the Rideau Hall Clubhouse (designated in 1987). Today, cricket remains a popular sport among Ontarians.

Save This Event

Event Saved