TheStable.ca, is a racehorse ownership venture
launched in 2015 by Anthony and Amy MacDonald.
The Guelph couple own and train several Standardbred racehorses near Mohawk Racetrack. Anthony is also a prominent racehorse driver and a well-known harness racing industry advocate.
The MacDonalds built this 'fractional ownership' stable as a bridge: a way to welcome non-horse-people to racehorse ownership with a very modest investment (as low as $100), low-risk, and completely accessible and transparent operations.
The process is simple:
1) Amy & Anthony purchase yearling (one-year-old) horses in the fall at auctions throughout North America.
2) They price shares on each horse (100 shares/horse).
3) They sell the shares. (You can buy as little as 1 share.)
4) To cover the expenses of housing, feeding and training the horses, there is a flat-rate, no-surprises monthly billing system.
5) Your horse begins training immediately. You (and your family) can visit your horse at Tomiko Training Centre (210 Campbellville Rd., near Puslinch) any time. If you have questions or concerns, Amy & Anthony are just a phone call away.
6) Farm Days are held once a month, when a drone camera is used to capture footage of The Stable.ca horses training on the track. The footage is packaged into video vignettes and posted on The Stable.ca website. As always, you are welcome to attend Farm Days with your family/friends.
7) Your horse (now a 2-year-old; all Standardbreds turn a year older on Jan. 1 regardless of their actual birth date) is eligible to begin competing in qualifying races, then real races, where he/she will compete for money. This usually begins in June. If your horse is racing, it could be at local tracks, or at tracks throughout Ontario. If you can't make it to the track to watch and cheer, most tracks offer free live streaming via their websites. Videos of your horse's races will be posted to The Stable.ca website.
8) If your horse turns a profit while racing, or a collective decision is made to sell the horse for a profit, you and the fellow shareholders retain the profits.
There are currently 62 horses and 153 active racehorse owners (and growing!) in The Stable.ca.