A celebration of the curious & unexpected ways people express creativity through hobbies, passions, & obsessions. What makes you interesting?
Celebrating the uncelebrated. Interesting Vancouver is an annual community gathering showcasing the region’s most fascinating people and the way they express their creativity through their hobbies, passions and obsessions. From their offices, farms, studios, schools, workshops or wherever else they squirrel away, we find fascinating people and ask them to speak about something they passionately care about.
Who’s interesting? You are! Interesting Vancouver gatherings are casual and relaxed, with a low cost structure ensuring affordability. The 2016 event is part of the cultural programming at SFU Woodward’s Djavad Mowafaghian Cinema on Nov 10th. Over the evening, curated speakers from Metro Vancouver’s diverse community will speak for 10 minutes about something they care deeply about—followed by an engaging dialogue with the audience. The link is curiosity. Why? Because we are surrounded by interesting things we have yet to discover. By stepping outside our everyday routines and boundaries and interacting with people from different disciplines, we are able to approach these subjects with fresh eyes and learn.
- A multidisciplinary artist and engagement facilitator who after circling back to music now creates choirs from community and community from choirs.
- A grief counsellor and hospice worker who created an app designed for parents to leave messages of hope and love for their children after their death.
- A mom who spends her nights exploring haunted houses and studying strange phenomena as a paranormal investigator.
- An aeronautical engineer who is obsessed with building miniature sculptures when he has time away from his job designing satellites.
- A videographer who is trying to stop trophy hunting of bears in Canada.
- An award-winning competitive kite flyer and circus artist whose passion is dancing with dogs.
- A First Nations writer, media host, and social entrepreneur who inspires youth to be proud of their heritage and "dream in Indian".
- A pianist and painter obsessed with the Pantages Theatre and preserving the heritage of Vancouver's nearly forgotten theatre district.
- An artist, designer, and performer who lives surrounded by puppets that he's made by hand.
- Chinese Vietnamese trans woman who improvises hauntingly beautiful music on an ancient Asian long-plucked zither.
Location: SFU Woodward's, 149 West Hastings St.
Admission includes: Light catered reception & cash bar
Schedule: 6:00pm Doors open, 7:00pm Program, Intermission & reception
Full details at www.interestingvancouver.com
Be sure to print out your receipt as it will serve as your ticket. Or show on your mobile.
To volunteer, nominate a speaker, or support Interesting Vancouver email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thanks to our support partners for making this greed free event possible.
Save This Event
When & Where
A fascinating gathering of the curious and unexpected.
Catalyzing creativity, community and capacity. More than another "sage on the stage" lecture series, Interesting Vancouver is an event that celebrates the uncelebrated, expands the collective vision of what is uniquely possible, and gives people an opportunity to discover interesting new creative pursuits they can apply in their own lives.
Celebrating the uncelebrated. Interesting Vancouver is an annual community gathering showcasing the region’s most fascinating people and the way they express their creativity through their hobbies, passions and obsessions.