PEARS Provider - Pediatric Emergency Assessment, Recognition, Stabilization...
Pediatric Emergency Assessment, Recognition, and Stabilization (PEARS) Provider
About this Course
PEARS is a 1-day interactive and hands-on course developed by the American Heart Association and the American Academy of Pediatrics. The PEARS Provider course helps healthcare providers develop the knowledge and skills needed for emergency evaluation and initial stabilization of seriously ill infants and children.
PEARS is ideal for;
Health professionals who are new to pediatrics,
Health professionals who are required to care for children as part of their current role, but on an infrequent basis,
Health professionals who are interested in taking the Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) and are looking for a course that will help them build knowledge and skills in preparation for PALS, and
Health profession students who are interested in pursuing careers caring for children.
Inpatient, Outpatient, and Pre-Hospital providers are encouraged to attend.
· Pediatric assessment, including common pediatric presentations/findings
· Recognition and management of respiratory problems
· Recognition and management of shock
· Recognition and management of cardiac arrest
· Resuscitation team concept
In order to participate in this course, you must be a recognized health professional, or a student enrolled in their final year of an an accredited educational program to become a recognized health professional.
Required Pre-Course Preparation and Course Materials
It is necessary to complete adequate pre-course learning in order to be successful in completing this course.
Participants are required to study and understand the PEARS Systematic Approach before arriving for the course. Participants are encouraged to further prepare by studying the chapters of the text that cover Recognition of Respiratory Distress and Failure, and Recognition of Shock. Participants who complete this minimum amount of pre-course preparation gain more from the course, perform significantly better during case simulations, and are more successful during the knowledge exam required for successful completion.
PEARS course materials are not covered by the course tuition and can be obtained through the following vendors:
McMaster University Health Sciences Bookstore (McMaster University Medical Centre - Level 1, Red Section, just outside of the hospital cafeteria) (www.bookstore.mcmaster.ca) (paper copy)
Laerdal Canada by calling 1-888-LAERDAL. The PEARS Textbook with PEARS Provider Pocket Card is sold under Laerdal Catalogue #90-1061. (paper copy)
Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada (www.resuscitation.heartandstroke.ca) [Use the "Shop for Training Materials" button and "shop as a Guest"] (paper copy)
American Heart Association (http://ebooks.heart.org/product/pediatric-emergency-assessment-recognition-stabilization-provider-manual-short-title-if-needed-pears) (e-book)
Kevin Middleton, RRT, BSc, MEd
Emma Wyatt, MBBS, FRACP
Please note that the following Cancellation Policy applies to this course:
• Requests to withdraw from a course (cancel registration) can only be completed through the Eventbrite registration system. Please go to www.eventbrite.ca/mytickets to manage your registration.
• Refunds will be made according to the date of the request based on the following timelines:
More than 3 weeks before the start of the course = 100% refund
Between 2-3 weeks before the start of the course = 75% refund
Less than 2 weeks, but more than 1 week before the start of the course = 50% refund
1 week or less before the start of the course = No refund
• If you are unable to attend the course, a friend or colleague can be substituted in your place at no additional charge.
• To transfer to an alternate course date, you must withdraw from the course that you originally registered for and complete the registration process for the course date that you want to attend. Course withdrawal conditions listed above apply.
- No refunds will be issued for withdrawals requested 1 week or less prior to a course. No refunds will be given for “no shows”.